Troop 412 was organized and received its first charter on April 12, 1922. Scoutmaster Sterling Nye and Assistant Scoutmaster Charles Horstick registered 32 boys with the troop.
It was decided that the troop would be sponsored by the Salem Lutheran Church of Lebanon. The Reverend Charles R. Keiter was pastor and the first scout committee consisted of Attorney, Adam Miller; Merchant, R. Raymond Miller; and Real Estateman, Harry Wolfe.
For the first two years, 1922-1924 there was no local council office so the troop affiliated directly with the National Council Office of the Boy Scouts of America. The only way the scouts could pass tests and advance in scouting was to go to the summer camp sponsored by the Reading Council. During the first summer, 25 scouts attended Indiandale Camp near Adamstown, PA.
The first scout meeting was conducted in the Old Salem building. Later, the church provided new facilities for the scout troop in the basement of the chapel. Following the purchase of the Parish building, the troop was moved to the basement of the Parish building. When Richwein Fellowship Hall was built, the troop moved to its current meeting location in the basement of the Richwein Fellowship Hall building.
In 1924, the local council office was established. This made the operation of the troop and the advancement of the scouts much easier.
Since its inception, the troop has always had well trained and dedicated leaders and was represented by scouts and leaders at many National and World Jamborees. The troops record of attendance at summer camp has always been excellent and the troop has sent many boys to the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. The troop continues to be active by meeting once a week on a year round basis and by going on at least one overnight activity each month.